Department of Public Works- RIGHT-OF-WAY Permit Update


For water and sewer repair applications:

As of March 1, 2018, if you’re doing any kind of work in the Town’s right-of-way you’re required to apply on-line for a right-of-way permit at . DPW will no longer accept paper permits. If you’re not sure whether you’re working in the right-of-way contact Plainfield DPW at 317-839-3490.

The following items are required for all right-of-way permits prior to approval.

  • A $2,000 performance bond
  • A detailed plan/drawing of work being performed in the right-of-way showing existing utilities and/or any traffic control plan and restoration plans if applicable.

The following also require a right-of-way permit:

  • Ramping or driving over public sidewalk, walkpath or trail
  • Using the right-of-way as a point of entry into a job site
  • Any residential water or sewer service line repair
  • Driveway extensions
  • Curb and Street cuts
  • Impeding the flow of traffic or lane closures
  • Dumpsters located on a public street
  • Irrigation installation


Failure to obtain a permit or waiver may result in enforcement from the Town of Plainfield DPW.