What if I want to subdivide my property?

To divide or subdivide property in Plainfield, approval from the Plan Commission is required. The subdivision process is the same if someone wants to create two lots or one hundred lots. Any subdivision of land requires the approval of a Primary Plat by the Plan Commission. This is done to make sure the lots comply with the development standards of the zoning district, safe access to the lots are provided, the lots are not injurious to surrounding property owners regarding drainage or other potential negative impacts, and that all necessary utilities can be provided. Before ownership of a parcel is exchanged and development can occur, a Secondary Plat must first be reviewed and approved by the Department of Planning and Zoning and recorded in the Recorder's Office of Hendricks County.

Forms & Fees

All necessary forms and fees can be obtained from the Permits, Inspections and Fees page. Should you have any questions concerning the subdivision process, please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning at 317-839-2561.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find the zoning for a parcel/property?
2. How do I rezone property?
3. What should I do before I develop some property?
4. What type of permits and fees are required to develop property?
5. What if I own a business and I want to put up a sign?
6. What if I want to subdivide my property?
7. What is the Subdivision Control Ordinance?
8. What is the plan for future development in Plainfield?
9. What are the Residential Design Guidelines?
10. What is BZA?
11. What does TAC stand for and who should attend?
12. What is DRC and what do they do?
13. If there is a nuisance in my neighborhood or a property owner I feel is in violation of the Zoning Ordinance, who should I contact?