What if I own a business and I want to put up a sign?

Most signs require a Sign Improvement Location Permit (ILP). Article 7 of the Zoning Ordinance regulates the location, type, number and size of signs. View what the fees will be for signs.

Signage Rules

Before you put up a sign, you should contact the Department of Planning and Zoning to become aware of the following:

  • How big they can be
  • How many signs can be put
  • How much the Sign ILP fee will be
  • What type of signs are allowed
  • Where they can go

Show All Answers

1. How do I find the zoning for a parcel/property?
2. How do I rezone property?
3. What should I do before I develop some property?
4. What type of permits and fees are required to develop property?
5. What if I own a business and I want to put up a sign?
6. What if I want to subdivide my property?
7. What is the Subdivision Control Ordinance?
8. What is the plan for future development in Plainfield?
9. What are the Residential Design Guidelines?
10. What is BZA?
11. What does TAC stand for and who should attend?
12. What is DRC and what do they do?
13. If there is a nuisance in my neighborhood or a property owner I feel is in violation of the Zoning Ordinance, who should I contact?