Downtown Redevelopment FAQs
The Plainfield Town Council approved the Conceptual Plan in December 2017. The information provided is intended to explain why the Town has focused on redevelopment in the downtown area and to answer some of the top questions we have heard from residents.
- To be proactive with development. Developers have expressed interest in doing a mixed-use project in the downtown area. Instead of letting them develop whatever product they want, the Town wants to be proactive and let the community drive, shape and form what the downtown will look like in 20 years.
- To diversify our investment and opportunities. In recent years, the Town's investment focus has been on the logistics sector within the Town, which has yielded significant private investment. The Town wants to diversify its public investment throughout the Town while providing additional options for housing, retail and entertainment.
- To encourage downtown renewal. Downtown is the heart of any community. The Town wants to reinvest in and renew downtown by making it an active destination. Activity will create opportunities for existing businesses while attracting new businesses as well.
- To create an identity for Plainfield. The Town wants to develop an identity for our downtown by encouraging a walkable, "village" type environment, which will serve as a social hub for our community.
- Will the Town use eminent domain to take my property?
- We didn’t know about this redevelopment plan. When did you have public meetings?
- What is the Town going to do about the potential of displacing residents?
- If the property values go up, our taxes will go up. Some can’t afford this. What is the Town’s plan?
- What about the historical structures in the redevelopment area?
- How is the Town going to help businesses that are impacted?
- What is the timing of the development plan?
- How much will the downtown redevelopment cost the Town?
- How does this project impact the mall with additional retail options?
- What about parking for the new developments?
- Is the Town interested in buying my property?