Frequently Asked Questions

Browse by Category:

Fire Territory

Why do I always see a fire truck with the ambulance?

Not all emergency medical responses include a fire engine. Ambulances are staffed with one paramedic/firefighter and one EMT/firefighter. There are a variety of situations that demand additional manpower or equipment. Here are some examples of situations: 1) Plainfield Ambulance is out of service on another call. 2) Unknown call 3) Life threatening illness or injury 4) Extra manpower for lifting 5) Supervisor needed 6) Forcible entry necessary 7) Additional equipment

Instead of the big fire truck, why don’t you send them in a smaller vehicle?

Our fire engines have been designed to be multipurpose vehicles. They are equipped with EMS supplies and equipment similar to an ambulance. For a department of our size and the number of emergency calls, it would actually cost more to operate a small rescue unit and a fire engine. In addition, it would increase response times to other emergencies, and diminish our efficiency.

Why do I get a bill for ambulance service when I pay taxes?

Similar to your water or sewer bill, your taxes only fund part of the service. User fees are used to shift some of the cost to those who use the service the most.

Why does Plainfield need a 100 foot aerial ladder truck when there are only a few buildings that are that height?

Depending on the distance away from the building, our 100 foot ladder may only reach the roof of a 75 foot building. In addition, during defensive operations the master water stream from the aerial ladder is most effective when directed from above the fire. Thirdly, we use it in a variety of rescue situations in which the 100 foot length is critical.

Why do firefighters work 24 hours at a time?

The 24/48 schedule takes advantage of the special FSLA rules for firefighters. It allows us to provide a true 24/7/365 service with fewer employees and less cost to the taxpayer.

Why does the fire truck and all four firefighters need to go to the grocery store?

The crew of firefighters spend the entire 24 hours together. They respond as a crew to all emergencies in which they are dispatched. On most occasions, a fire engine crew was on their way back from an emergency call, a training exercise, or a pre-plan of a local business. It is rare that they would leave the firehouse just to run one simple errand.

I had a small fire in my house, why were there so many fire trucks?

 The first 20 minutes of any fire are the most crucial. We generally say that we need 25 firefighters on the scene to safely accomplish all the necessary tasks in the first 20 minutes. Should something go wrong we will need even more manpower. It’s a proven fact that an aggressive and organized initial fire attack saves lives and property

I saw a minor fender bender and the fire department sent three or four trucks and at least 10 people. Why?

The call taker at the 911 dispatch center enters the information given by the caller. The response code that is entered is based on the caller’s account of the event. One person’s perception of the event may be quite different from another. Sometimes, the injuries and the number of patients may not be apparent to the passerby. Other times, we are not sure what the situation is so we error on the side of caution.

I can’t remember the last time there was a fire in Plainfield, why do we need such an elaborate fire department?

We have numerous fires each year. Most fires are put out before the damage is extensive or quickly enough to avoid attracting attention. In addition, we do far more than just fight fires. We provide emergency medical service and technical rescue.

How many firefighters are women?

At the Plainfield Fire Territory 10% of the firefighters are women. This is almost 3 times the national average. Plainfield ranks in the top 16% of fire service organizations across the country in the employment of women firefighters. Less than 3% of our applicants are women.

I live in the Plainfield Fire Territory. Why did a fire truck from a different community arrive at my home before a Plainfield truck?

A: There can be many reasons for this. Here are the most common: 1) The closest Plainfield truck was busy on another call. 2) In a few areas of the territory, another fire station is actually closer than a Plainfield station. 3) The Plainfield truck may have been returning from another call and not been on station. 4) Road conditions - traffic, weather, etc. 5) Every effort is made to assure the closest appropriate resources are dispatched to an emergency regardless of political boundaries.

There was a fire in my neighborhood, why did the police department arrive first?

The fire department is always dispatched first. In some situations police officers are notified that there is a fire in their area. Fire crews are generally at the station when they receive a dispatch. It takes time to don protective equipment and drive time to arrive on the scene. Police officers are generally on the street and their cars are far more nimble than large fire truck.

I live in an area without fire hydrants. How will the fire department handle that situation if I have a fire?

Those areas have predetermined responses that include water tankers from neighboring communities. In addition, each of the Plainfield fire engines carries 1000 gallons of water. Many fire engines carry less than 500 gallons of water. In an effort to be more efficient, we have chosen to carry more water on our fire engines instead of the expense of operating a separate water tanker.

How do I apply to be a Plainfield Firefighter?

When we anticipate the need, we open an application process.  The announcement is made on this website, facebook and

What are the minimum qualifications?

You must provide proof of the following: US Citizenship, High School Diploma or GED, Valid Indiana Operators License, Certification as an EMT or EMT-P at the time of Application, must be at least age 21 but not 36 at the time of employment, pass aptitude testing, obtain a valid CPAT card, pass Police and Firefighters’ Pension Fund Medical and Mental Evaluation.

Do I have to be an EMT to apply?

Yes, you must be an EMT at the time of application.

Where are EMT courses offered?

Most major hospitals offer courses from time to time. Some universities will have courses. We are affiliated as an EMS provider with Hendricks Regional Health. Visit for future class offerings and click on event calendar for more information.

Do paramedics have an advantage in this process?

Due to the lack of licensed paramedics in Indiana, persons who are a licensed EMT-P are preferred applicants.

Do certified firefighters have an advantage in the process?

Generally speaking, Yes. Any relevant education and/or experience will add creditability to the application.

What is CPAT?

It is the Candidate Physical Agility Test. The course is designed to simulate tasks a firefighter would perform.

How do I obtain a CPAT card?

Tests are performed and cards are issued by Emergency Services Education Center (ESEC). Contact ESEC directly for more information at 317-270-5703 or by visiting their website at

What are the starting salary and benefits?

Compensation includes salary, holiday pay, mandatory overtime, contribution to the Police and Fire Pension fund, health insurance, life insurance and optional dental insurance. Generous paid time off (PTO) is accrued once employed for three months. The starting salary is $41,589 annually for Probationary Firefighter/EMT and $43,473 annually for a Probationary Firefighter/Paramedic based on normal schedule with mandatory overtime. Upon the third year of employment, salaries increase to $51,676 for FF/EMT and $55,230 for FF/Medic. Town employees may receive other benefits such as a free membership to the Plainfield Aquatic Center.

Clerk Treasurer

Who do I contact about my ambulance bill?

You want to talk to Allison Marlar at 839-2561.

How do I contact the Plainfield Water and Sewer Billing Department?

Their phone number is 837-0000.

Where do I get a permit to have a garage/yard sale?

Talk to Sandy, the Town Cashier. She can give you the paperwork you will need.

Is there a limit on the number of garage/yard sales I can have?

Yes, the Town limits garage sales to 3 days at a time and only three weekends per year. Your yard is not zoned for commercial!

I want to run a business out of my home, what do I do?

 Sandy, the Town Clerk's Cashier, has the paperwork to fill out for this. Your business will first need to be approved by the Planning and Zoning Department. They will look at Article 4.3 of the Zoning Ordinance to see if your Home Occupation will be per

Where can I find a list of what's recyclable?

The Town of Plainfield contracts with Ray's Trash for recycling services. You may find a listing of what is collectable by following this link to the website for Ray's:

Human Resources

Where do I send my résumé if I would like to be considered for a specific position that is listed on the web site as an open position?

You may attach your resume to the application of the specific position for which you are applying. If you have a problem attaching your resume, you may contact Ron Lydick.

Police Department

What is the procedure for obtaining a VIN check on my vehicle?

There is a $5.00 fee to obtain a Vehicle Identification (VIN) Check.  Payment may be made in the form of cash, personal check or money order.  You may either bring the vehicle to the Police station at 1075 W. Main Street or call (317 839-8700) for an officer to come to your location.  You should have the Physical Inspection of A Vehicle Or Watercraft Form required by the BMV ready to be completed by the officer. 


If you come to the station during regular business hours (M-F 8:30 am – 5:00 pm) you will pay the $5.00 fee before your VIN check is performed.


If you call for an officer to come to your location or bring the vehicle to the station after business hours the officer will complete the form required by the BMV and bring it to the Records Dept.    You will then be required to come to the station the following business day to pay the $5.00 fee and collect your completed paperwork.


(Example: if you come to the station or call for an officer to come to your location Friday night after 5:00 pm you will be able to pay your $5.00 fee and collect your completed inspection form at the Records Dept. any time after 8:30 am the following Monday.)

How do I get hold of Animal Control?

For Animal Control, please call the non-emergency number for dispatch at 317-839-8700.

What does it cost to get a copy of an accident or incident report?

Effective Monday, May 18, 2015, we will begin charging the following new and/or increased fees:

Accident Reports - $5.00

Incident Reports - $5.00

CAD Reports -$5.00

VIN Check - $5.00

Fingerprints - $5.00

Background Check - $10.00

Computer Generated Photos - $1.00 per sheet

Copies of Reports and any associated photos may be picked up at the Plainfield Police Department during regular business hours (8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. M-F).

How do I file a complaint with the Plainfield Police Department?

You can make a verbal complaint by dialing (317) 839-8700 and then by asking to speak to a Uniform Division supervisor.  If one is immediately available, you will be able to speak to the supervisor directly about the issue.  If the on-duty supervisor is unavalable at the time of your call, a message and callback number will be sent to the supervisor to contact you.

To file a written complaint with the Plainfield Police Department, you may obtain a Plainfield Police Citizen Complaint Form from the police department during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. M-F) or click on the above link to download the form. To file a written complaint, please complete and sign the form which must be turned in to the police department in person.

 Please note the complaint process which details how complaints are handled is listed on the complaint form should you have any questions.

Can I file an incident report over the phone or via email?

The Plainfield Police Department does not take reports over the phone or through electronic format at this time. Any incident occurring in Plainfield that you need to report to the police can be done either by coming to the Plainfield Police Department or by calling the Hendricks County Communications Center at (317) 839-8700 to have an officer meet with you. This provides for personal service to the citizens as well as allows the officer to conduct a more thorough investigation.

I've locked my keys in my car, can you help?

When you accidentally lock your keys in the car, you can contact the Hendricks County Communications Center at (317) 839-8700 to have an officer unlock your vehicle's door. This service is provided free of charge by the Plainfield Police Department and you must be the owner of the vehicle needing to be unlocked. Please keep in mind that a vehicle "Lock-out" is not by itself considered an emergency run and an officer will be dispatched to you as soon as one becomes available.  If a child or pet is in destress and is locked inside your vehicle, this constitutes an emergency run and you should dial 911.

What do I need to do to get my property released to me?

All property which has been taken into custody by the Plainfield Police Dept. are stored in a secure facility. Property which has been recovered, seized or found are immediately stored.  Items which are considered evidence will not be readily available for release. In order to check on the status of your property, please contact our Property Room Manager Lt. Gary Tanner Jr. at (317) 210-3211 to set up an appointment.  Hours for release of property may be scheduled with Lt. Tanner Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

What do I need to do to submit a fingerprint card?

Any person required to submit state or federal fingerprint cards may bring those cards to the Plainfield Police Department during business hours (M-F 8:30 am – 4:00 pm).  There will be a $5.00 processing fee per card.  Please allow 20-30 minutes for the fingerprints to be taken.

How can I register the security alarm for my home or business?

You will need to complete the Alarm Registration Form or you can pick one up at the Plainfield Police Department Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.  Completed forms can be returned to the Department in person, faxed to the number listed on the form, or by mailing it to:

Plainfield Police Department, Records Division, 1075 W. Main St., Plainfield, IN 46168

Once your registration form is submitted, a Community Support Officer (CSO) will contact you to arrange a time to apply a permit sticker on your premises.  There is no charge for the registration of your alarm, and you can click on Alarm Registration Ordinance 5-2001 to view the specifics on the alarm ordinance and how it is enforced.

What do I need to do to get my vehicle released to me?

Vehicle releases are only issued at the Plainfield Police Dept. between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Vehicles can only be released to the registered owner. If the vehicle's registered owner is not present, a notarized release letter is needed from the owner authorizing the person present to take possession of the vehicle.

The following must be provided to obtain the vehicle release form:

  1. Proper Identification of the owner
  2. Proof of ownership (i.e., the title, current registration or purchase paperwork)
  3. Proper registration

If you are a lienholder, please contact the Department at (317) 838-3562 for more information.

Vehicles impounded by the Plainfield Police Department are typically stored at Whitlows Towing Service (Joe's Garage), located at 10659 E County Road 251 S., Indianapolis, IN 46231, which is just southeast of the intersection of US40 and Ronald Reagan Pkwy. You may contact Whitlow's Towing Service by calling (317) 839-3804.

What do I need to do to get a handgun permit?







                                      LICENSE TYPE



Lifetime Personal Protection (No Current Hand Gun Permit)



Lifetime Personal Protection (Your Hand Gun Permit has not yet expired)



Four Year Personal Protection



Four Year Hunting and Target



Lifetime Hunting and Target (No Current Permit)



Lifetime Hunting and Target (Current Valid Permit)


















I have moved or changed my name. How can I update my information on my gun permit?

You can access the online portal on the Indiana State Police website.  Go to  and select "RESOURCES", then hover over "Firearms Licensing" and select "Change My Name/Address",click on "Begin Your License Update Online".

I have misplaced or lost my gun permit. How can I get it replaced?

You can access the online portal on the Indiana State Police website.  Go to  and select "RESOURCES", then hover over "Firearms Licensing" and select "Get a Duplicate License to Carry",click on "Request Your Duplicate Online".


Will the Plainfield Police Department watch over my home while I'm on vacation?

The Plainfield Police Department can watch over your property while you are away from your home.  A Property Watch Request Form  must be completed and submitted in person for us to provide you with this service.  You may click on the above link to access this form or you can pick up one up at the Department Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Completed forms must be submitted in person at the Plainfield Police Department during the business hours listed above.

To cancel or extend your property watch please call 317-838-3565 ext. 422 and leave your name and address with details if you are returning at a later date or time.

What is the proper way to navigate through a roundabout?

Click here for a printable brochure on roundabouts from the Indiana Department of Transportation.

Administrative Offices

Who are the Town Council members?

Your council members are Robin Brandgard (President), Bill Kirchoff (Vice President), Kent McPhail, Lance Angle, and Ed Gaddie.

Department of Building, Engineering and Transportation

Who is the residential building inspector?

Jacob Strange is the residential building inspector and can answer your residential building code/inspection questions.

Who is the commercial/industrial building inspector?

Ed Rudolphi or Jacob Strange can answer building code/inspection questions about non-residential structures.

Does the building department distribute permits for signs?

The building department does not issue permits for signs.  Contact Terry Jones in the Planning & Zoning Department for sign permits.

What types of work do I need a residential building permit for?


  1. Any new construction or relocation of an existing structure.
  2. Remodeling that involves changes in the structural integrity of the home.
    1. Examples of this are adding walls to an existing home or making structural changes to exterior load-bearing walls.
  3. Room additions.
    1. Covered patios and screened porches are included in this category.
  4. Storage buildings, mini-barns, and detached garages over 200 square feet in area.
  5. Decks and gazebos.
  6. In-ground and above-ground swimming pools.
  7. Spas and hot tubs located on the exterior of the home.
  8. Electrical upgrades and new electrical installations.
  9. New wood burning stove and fireplace installations in existing homes or buildings.
  10. Converting fuel or energy sources for furnaces and water heaters.
    1. An example of this is replacing an electric furnace in favor of a gas furnace.
  11. Construction trailers.
  12. Any demolition work performed on either a primary or an accessory structure.
    1. Depending on the status of the structure, an environmental report may be required to be submitted with the permit application package.

Always keep in mind that other considerations including zoning restrictions, covenants, flood zone issues, drainage and utility easements, and septic and well issues may require some type of permit.

What is the process for developing a commercial/industrial project in Plainfield?

Public Hearings

This process typically starts with a public hearing(s) before the Plainfield Plan Commission and/or Board of Zoning Appeals. For this step, contact Joe James or Jill Sprague to determine if your property and/or project will require any hearings. They will continue to be your contacts throughout the public hearing process.

Construction Plan approval will be required before any actual permits are issued. This can sometimes begin taking place at the same time as or at least during the process of getting public hearing approval. Patty Seymour can help you begin the process of Construction Plan Review.


Once approved by the Plan Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals, you move on to the permitting process. As mentioned above, the first portion of this process involves a review of your Construction Plans and may have already taken place. If not, submit your Construction Plans first.

You may submit the paperwork necessary for an Improvement Location Permit (ILP) and/or Building Permit at the same time. Typically this is not done until after approval at any required public hearings. Submit any ILP applications/paperwork to Jill Sprague. Ed Rudolphi will collect the Building Permit application and plans.

You should note that the permitting process has a definite order to it. ILP approval will not be granted until the Construction Plans have been approved, however, the process of getting the ILP approved may occur before Construction Plan approval.

The Building Permit is reviewed by the Building Commissioner and the Fire Marshal. These reviews are not typically performed until the ILP is approved. The review can sometimes be partially expedited if you request a foundation permit. Additionally, a building permit will not be issued until an address has been assigned to a property. Contact Jill Sprague for addressing requests/questions.


Inspections will take place during construction with the Fire Marshal and a Building Inspector present. They will inspect a structure for Building and Fire Code Compliance. Contact Ed Rudolphi to set up these inspections.

Once the structure and site work are completed, Jill Sprague will conduct an inspection of the property to ensure that all zoning requirements (e.g. landscaping, exterior lighting, parking, etc.) are in compliance. Contact her when the site is ready for this inspection.

Once all inspections show that a project is in compliance you will be issued a Certificate of Zoning Compliance and the project will be complete!

Click on the pdf icon above for contact information for various parties that you may need to contact for questions, reviews, and/or inspections.

When are permits required?

You are required to obtain a permit or permits for the construction; placement, relocation, addition, alteration, structural modification or remodel of new or existing structure and for the demolition, wrecking or removal of a structure.     

However, there are projects that you may perform without a permit. Examples of work you may perform without a permit are:

  1. Replacement of doors and windows, if you are not changing the size of the opening structurally.
  2. Installation and replacement of siding, soffit, trim, storm doors, storm windows and thermal insulation.
  3. Installation and replacement of cupboards, cabinets, shelves, painting, papering, wall and floor coverings.
  4. Replacement of an attic fan, bathroom exhaust fan, range hood exhaust fan or whole house fan.
  5. Replacement of appliances, fixtures, traps and valves in an existing plumbing system.
  6. Replacement of a water heater with one that is identical as to venting arrangement and type of fuel or energy input.
Do I need a permit to build a storage building

When a building is over (200) square feet it requires a building permit and must comply with the building code and zoning ordinances. No permit is required for a portable storage building under (200) square feet (12x16), this applies only when they are not placed on or attached to a permanent foundation and the structure does not contain electrical, heating or cooling connections or equipment, but regardless of the structures size and the lack of a permit, the placement of the building still must conform to the zoning setback requirements along with any drainage and utility easement requirements for the location of the proposed structure. (Restrictive Covenants may be applicable, check with your Homeowners Association)

Do I need a permit to build a fence?

No building permit is required for the construction of a fence. But the placement needs to comply with the Plainfield Zoning ordinance, please contact the Zoning Department for those requirements. Basically a fence should not interfere or negatively affect the intended purpose or use of an easement.  (Restrictive Covenants may be applicable, check with your Homeowners Association.)

Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?

You do not need a permit, if you are simply tearing off the existing or adding a layer of shingles.  (The 1 & 2 Family Building Code states, you may add up to three (3) layers of shingles before you have to remove the shingles on any pitch or slope of roofing.)  If you reconfigure or reconstruct the pitch or slope of the existing roof with new or additional structural materials you will need a permit.

Do I need a permit to build a pool in my yard?

 You will need a pool permit; if none inflatable pool is over 18 inches in depth. The following requirements also apply: The pool or tub area shall be enclosed by either: a fence or other structural barrier equipped with a self-closing, self-latching gate; or a safety pool cover. If a structural barrier is utilized, such structural barrier shall be a chain-link, ornamental or solid fence or wall, and: if erected on grade, the fence shall be not less than four (4) feet in height: or, if erected on the deck of an above ground pool or hot tub, the fence or structural barrier on the deck shall be not less than thirty-six (36) inches in height.

Who should purchase and Apply for the Permit

If you are the one who is going to do the work, you should be the one to purchase and apply for the permit. If a contractor is hired to do the work, the contractor should be the one to purchase and apply for the permit. Whoever purchases the permit is responsible for the work and its compliance with Town's Building Codes and Ordinances. Therefore, permits should be pulled only by the parties doing the work. Written authorization must be given to allow any other agent to act in behalf of the contractor or homeowner doing the work.

Parks & Recreation

How do I reserve the gazebo at Friendship Gardens?

Call the Rec Center at 839-7665.

Planning & Zoning

How do I find the zoning for a parcel / property?

Plainfield's Zoning Map can be found by clicking on Planning Maps under Available Ordinances. To find the location of a parcel so the zoning can be found, go to the Hendricks County Assessor's web site at: and enter the address of the property or the parcel tax number. This will provide parcel information with a link to the Hendricks County GIS site, which will provide the location of the parcel. Once the parcel is located, the zoning can be found by looking at Plainfield's Zoning Map.

How do I rezone property?

 Requests for rezones are heard by the Plan Commission at public meetings held once a month at the Town Municipal Building located at 206 West Main Street. The Plan Commission only makes recommendations for approval or denial. By state law, only the legislative body can rezone property. Once the rezone request is heard by the Plan Commission, it is heard by the Plainfield Town Council, which is the legislative body governing Plainfield. Before a rezone request can be heard by the Plan Commission, it must be filed with the Department of Planning and Zoning at least 30 days before the next scheduled Plan Commission hearing. The Plan Commission meeting schedule can be found under Available Minutes and Schedules. Before filing a rezone request, a Pre-filing conference must be held with the Department of Planning and Zoning. To schedule a Pre-filing conference, please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning.

What should I do before I develop some property?

The first thing you should do is contact the Department of Planning and Zoning. Staff will assist you in finding the zoning, explaining what can be done, how it can be done, what is required for approval, and what type of fees and permits are required. Staff will invite you to what is called a "Pre-filing Conference" before the Technical Review Committee (TAC) to assist you through the review and approval process. Depending on where your property is located, there may be specific reviews and approvals required. For example, if you are developing commercial property in the correct zoning district and it is located within 600' of a Gateway Corridor or residential zoning, approval of a Development Plan by the Plan Commission with review by the Design Review Committee is required.

What type of permits and fees are required to develop property?

No building, structure, sign or use of land may be altered changed, placed, erected or located unless an Improvement Location Permit (ILP) has been reviewed and issued by the Department of Planning and Zoning. The ILP applications can be obtained under Available Forms. Building Permits also are required for most buildings and structures. Check the Department of Building and Engineering web page for permits and fees. Click on Fee Schedule under Available Forms to see what the ILP fees are.

What if I own a business and I want to put up a sign?

Most signs require a Sign ILP. Article 7 of the Zoning Ordinance regulates the location, type, number and size of signs. Click on Fee Schedule under Available Forms to see what the fees will be for signs. So, before you put up a sign, you should contact the Department of Planning and Zoning to see how many signs can be put, how big they can be, where they can go, what type of signs are allowed and how much the Sign ILP fee will be.

What if I want to subdivide my property?

To divide or subdivide property in Plainfield, approval from the Plan Commission is required. The subdivision process is the same if someone wants to create two lots or one hundred lots. Any subdivision of land requires the approval of a Primary Plat by the Plan Commission. This is done to make sure the lots comply with the development standards of the zoning district, safe access to the lots are provided, the lots are not injurious to surrounding property owners regarding drainage or other potential negative impacts, and that all necessary utilities can be provided. Before ownership of a parcel is exchanged and development can occur, a Secondary Plat must first be reviewed and approved by the Department of Planning and Zoning and recorded in the Recorder's Office of Hendricks County. All necessary forms and fees can be obtained from under Available Forms. Should you have any questions concerning the subdivision process, please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning.

What is the Subdivision Control Ordinance?

Along with the Zoning Ordinance, this is the ordinance that regulates how property can be subdivided. The Subdivision Control Ordinance can be found under Available Ordinances. While the Zoning Ordinance provides the minimum standards for a lot concerning size and width, the Subdivision Control Ordinance provides and explains what is needed for a Primary Plat and Secondary Plat, what is needed for drainage control, what is needed for utilities and what is needed for streets and sidewalks.

What is the plan for future development in Plainfield?

The plan for future development in Plainfield is called the "Comprehensive Plan" and can be found under Available Ordinances. The Comprehensive Plan provides the location for recommended land uses twenty years into the future until the year 2025. It is an effort to have managed, controlled growth so that conflicting land uses are generally not located next to one another. It also provides a Transportation Plan that recommends road improvements needed to handle future growth. Other important elements of the Comprehensive Plan are guides for future housing needs, employment needs, commercial needs, recreational needs and how utilities can be provided. The Future Land Use Map can be viewed by clicking on Planning Maps under Available Ordinances.

What are the Residential Design Guidelines?

The Residential Design Guidelines were created as a guide for future residential growth to help ensure quality development that will not only provide value to the community, but also attractive housing. The guidelines provide standards for both single-family and multi-family residential development. They also provide standards for the creation of open space, the orientation of homes and guidelines for safe, attractive entrances. The guidelines can be found under Available Ordinances.

What is BZA?

BZA stands for the Plainfield Board of Zoning Appeals. This board hears requests for Special Exceptions, Variance of Development Standards and Variance of Uses. They also hear appeals regarding decisions made concerning development. The board usually meets on the third Monday of each month. The meeting schedule can be found under Available Minutes & Schedules. The fee for a BZA request can be found under Available Forms in the Fee Schedule. To find out if a hearing is required by the BZA, please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning.

What does TAC stand for and who should attend?

 TAC stands for Technical Advisory Committee. This committee usually meets twice a month and is comprised of Staff personnel representing the Department of Planning and Zoning, the Building and Engineering Department, the Transportation Director, the Town Manager, Public Works and the Fire Department. The committee is used to review requests that have been filed with the Department of Planning and Zoning and as a forum for a Pre-filing Conference. TAC allows Staff personnel involved in the development process and petitioners, engineers or whomever, the opportunity to meet together so that any development issues with filed or soon to be filed requests can be worked out to keep projects moving and prevent any future potential problems. TAC schedules can be seen on any Project Schedule under Available Forms. To request a Pre-filing Conference at TAC, please contact the Department of Planning and Zoning.

What is DRC and what do they do?

DRC stands for Design Review Committee. The committee reviews Development Plans making recommendations for the Plan Commission concerning commercial and industrial projects within 600' of a Gateway Corridor or 600' of a residential district regarding compliance with Gateway Corridor development standards of Articles 5.5 and 5.6 of the Plainfield Zoning Ordinance. The committee also makes recommendations concerning building design, development incentives, site layout, lighting, landscaping and signage. Petitioners going before the committee are expected to bring samples of building materials, colored renderings, paint, roofing and glass. The committee usually meets every third Tuesday of each month and the meeting schedule can be obtained from any Project Schedule under Available Forms.

If there is a nuisance in my neighborhood or a property owner I feel is in violation of the Zoning Ordinance, who should I contact?

Contact the Department of Planning and Zoning. Staff will take immediate action by contacting the property owner and requesting compliance. If Staff's requests are ignored, the property owner may be invited to appear before the Plan Commission to explain reasons for non-compliance. If these actions still result in non-compliance, a letter by Certified Mail will be sent informing the property owner they have ten (10) days to comply or a fine of $50 or more per day could be levied until the property becomes compliant with the Zoning Ordinance.

Department of Public Works

Where can I find a list of what's recyclable?

The Town of Plainfield contracts with Ray's Trash for recycling services. You may find a listing of what is collectable by following this link to the website for Ray's:

Where can I find leaf pickup information?

The Department of Public Works uses a 5-day-a-week leaf pickup schedule. TYpically it does not change from year to year. Here is the leaf pickup schedule for 2016:

Here are the routes: Route 1: Monday: North of Main Street (US 40) West of Avon Avenue, inside Plainfield corporate limits; Route 2: Tuesday: North of Main Street (US 40), East of Avon Avenue, inside Plainfield corporate limits. Route 3: Wednesday: South of Main Street (US 40), East of S. Mill Street, North of Stafford Road, inside Plainfield corporate limits. Route 4: Thursday: East of S. Center Street, North of Reeves Road, South of Stafford, inside Plainfield corporate limits. Route 5: Friday: South of Main Street (US 40), West of White Lick Creek, plus everything South of Reeves Road, inside Plainfield corporate limits.

For a map of the leaf schedule, please click below. (However, note that on the map, S. Mill Street is included in the Friday route. That is NOT correct. South Mill and the streets east of it (Carter, Fremont, and Buchanan) are on the Wednesday route. Changes are being made to the map.

2016 Leaf Pickup Schedule

Questions? Please contact DPW at 317-839-3490.

Where can I find the current snow routes?

Snow routes can be found here.

If my mailbox is damaged by a snow plow, what can I do?

The Town has a policy for replacing mailboxes that are damaged during snow removal. To read the policy, click here.

To print out a form to report damage and file a claim, click here.

Where is the Plainfield yard waste site and when is it open?

The yard waste site, which is operated by the Hendricks County Solid Waste Management District, is located at 7020 South CR 875 East. It is open April through November, Fridays, Saturdays & Mondays from 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

What is stormwater?

 Stormwater is the surface runoff of rain and snowmelt. In undeveloped areas such as grasslands and forests, the surface flow of water is slowed by vegetation and much of the water seeps into the ground. With urban growth and development, open land is replaced by hard surface areas, such as buildings, streets and parking lots, which are unable to absorb stormwater. Because development results in increased amounts of stormwater runoff, a stormwater drainage system is necessary to channel the runoff out of urban areas and reduce the occurrence of flooding.

What are the stormwater drainage issues in Plainfield?

Many parts of the Town lack adequate storm sewers and drainage, leading to standing water in yards and flooded streets and basements. Standing water can increase inflow and infiltration of clear water into the sanitary sewers and combined sewers, contributing to overflows and backups. Standing water also can prevent septic system drainage fields from working properly. In the winter, poor drainage can lead to dangerous black ice on roadways. The Department of Public Works has responded to numerous drainage complaints in recent years. Such responses have been constrained by insufficient funds.

What stormwater drainage improvements is the Town making?

Recently the Town identified 5 key projects based upon recommendations from the Department of Public Works and the Town Engineer. The intent is to make additional improvements following the completion of the 5 key projects as funds become available. The projects are intended to accomplish the following objectives:

  1. Alleviate neighborhood and street flooding to resolve numerous drainage problems.
  2. Assist neighborhoods undergoing septic conversions with drainage improvements.
  3. Reduce the frequency and duration of combined sewage overflows by improving neighborhood drainage, and thereby reducing stormwater inflow and infiltration into the sanitary sewer system.
    1. Meet the regulatory requirements of the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permit as regulated by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
What are the regulatory requirements of the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permit?

The Federal government has mandated that Plainfield separate its storm and sanitary sewer systems, but has not provided any funding for such mandate. The Federal government has also required the Town to implement a stormwater management program under its Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System permit. Plainfield must come up with the money to pay for these programs.

What is the benefit of the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System?

 The Town's newly created stormwater department will result in improved operations and maintenance such as increased street sweeping, catch basin cleaning, and implementation of best management practices that will improve the water quality in the creeks and streams within the Town. Such improved water quality will result in an increase in the quality of life for the residents of the Town.

Where can I get more information about the Town's plans?

For more information about improvements to the Town's drainage and clean waterway projects, please visit To report street drainage or flooding concerns, call the Department of Public Works at 317-839- 3490.

What can the Town do about standing water in my yard?

If stormwater is standing in a residential yard for longer than several days following wet weather, it probably is not considered flooding. Please feel free to discuss your problem with the Department of Public Works to determine if a public improvement would alleviate your problem.

How much will the stormwater improvements cost?

The Town has identified more than $20 million of capital improvement needs. Of these projects, 5 have been selected as high priorities at a cost of slightly more than $6 million.

How will the Town fund stormwater improvements?

 The Town is implementing a stormwater utility fee structure to generate sufficient revenue to fund high priority projects and improve stormwater operations of the Department of Public Works in accordance with State and Federal regulations.

Will there be future stormwater rate increases?

That can not be determined at this time. Any future rate increase will require the approval of the Town Council.

What is the benefit for those not located near the high priority projects?

Those not living near the high priority projects will see cleaner streams in the parks throughout Town as water discharged into White Lick Creek, which is along the extensive trail system, will be cleaner.

Why are residents and businesses outside of the Town with connections to the Town's sewer system assessed the same stormwater rates and charges as those residents and businesses within the Town?

Stormwater department improvement projects will benefit all sanitary sewer customers because such projects will reduce the amount of clear water entering the sanitary sewer system. The Town is required by State law to collect fees for such improvements from all customers of the Town's sewer system.

Where do I apply for residential water and sewer connections?

Plainfield Town Garage, 986 South Center Street

Do I need a permit to cut the street for water or sewer repair?

Yes, these can be obtained at the Town Garage, 986 South Center Street.

Where does our water come from?

Plainfield maintains six ground wells.

How do we get our water pressure?

A combination of pumps and elevated water towers.

How many road miles does the town maintain?

The town of Plainfield maintains 126 center line miles.

Town Court

Can I Pay Tickets and Court Fees Online?

You may pay tickets and court fines using an online payment system.

Please note that online payments are handled by a third party vendor. The vendor may charge an additional service charge.

Be aware that it takes 4 to 5 business days for the Court to receive the money.

Please click below if you wish to proceed with this manner of payment.


Parks & Trails

Do greenway trails attract crime and vandalism?

The Town of Plainfield has not experienced an increase in crime or vandalism along the existing 2.3 miles of greenway trails. Therefore, the Town would not expect crime or vandalism to be a problem with the continued expansion of the Greenway system.

How will the Town patrol the Greenway System?

The Plainfield Metropolitan Police Department will patrol the trailways with Bicycle Patrol Officers. Currently, the Police Department has 8 officers trained to provide citizen protection through the Bicycle Patrol Program.

How will emergency medical services be provided on the Greenway trails?

Emergency Medical Services (EMS) will be provided by the Plainfield Fire Department. The trails will be designed to allow the Fire Department to respond to medical emergencies on the greenway rails. Also, the Fire Department has water rescue capabilitie.

Who will pick up the litter?

Trash has not presented much of a problem on most trail systems. The Town of Plainfield will adopt a "pack out what you pack in" position for litter removal. However, the Town will establish regular maintenance schedules for litter not removed by users.

What about illegal parking?

With the addition of Phase 1 to the existing greenway trails, illegal parking should not be a problem. However, as the greenway trails are expanded, illegal parking can become a problem. This problem can be alleviated by the addition of trailhead parking.

Will the Plainfield Greenway System raise local property taxes?

The Town does not plan to increase local property taxes to build or maintain the greenway trails.

Will high water along the White Lick Creek be a problem?

During periods of heavy rain, portions of the trails along White Lick Creek may be temporarily inundated with high waters. Gates will be incorporated into the design of the trails to prohibit access to areas of high waters.

Do you have a children's activity area?

Castaway Bay is a water playground for all ages that features a large dipping bucket with 281 gallons of water that dumps every 5 minutes. It includes water guns, fountains, and other spray features and water jets. Small children must remain in arms reach of an adult at all times. Do not hang on ropes or other apparatus. Do not walk in front of slides.

Splash Island

Can you tell me about your waterslides?

Splash Island has three body slides that are approximately 2½ stories tall. The yellow slide is the longest, the green slide is the fastest, and the blue slide is fast and long. All riders must be 48" tall and must not exceed 300 lbs. One rider at a time. Parents cannot catch small children. The catch pool is 3½ feet deep. No lifejackets on slides.

Do you have diving boards?

We have two 1-meter high diving boards. The water depth is 12.6 feet. The boards are for recreational diving only. No back or trick dives. No lifejackets. Users must not exceed 300 lbs and must be able to swim. One user at a time on boards. Parents cannot catch small children.

Is there an exclusive area for infants and toddlers?

Guppy Tank is a children's pool for infants and small children that features a separated pool area with a palm tree shower and toucan. The water is too shallow for diving or jumping in. Small children must remain in arms reach of an adult at all times.

How tall do you have to be to use the lily pads?

Caribbean Crossing is a lily pad walk that features five floating pads for users to walk. Children must be 48" tall. One user at a time. Do not hang on cargo net. If you fall in, you must go to the side and exit the pool area. Parents cannot help small children cross. No lifejackets please.

Do you have a children's activity area?

Castaway Bay is a water playground for all ages that features a large dipping bucket with 281 gallons of water that dumps every 5 minutes. It includes water guns, fountains, and other spray features and water jets. Small children must remain in arms reach of an adult at all times. Do not hang on ropes or other apparatus. Do not walk in front of slides.

Is there an area for children to play outside of the water?

Sand Castle cove Play Area is a play area for small children that features an interactive play unit with water. Users must shower after use. Parents must remain with small children. Do not throw sand or rake sand from area.

What is the area called where the palm trees are in the water and adults can lay out?

Splash Pad is a wet deck in the 6-foot area of the pool. Access is from the 3½-foot area. Diligently watch small children. No running or jumping across river. No running or horseplay on wet deck.

What are the two whirlpools called?

Splash Island features two vortexes (whirlpools). The water depth is 3½ feet. Diligently watch small children. Do not climb on walls of vortex. Caution: water current is strong.

Do you have a lazy river?

Yes, we now have a Leisure River!

Do you have an area for lap swim?

We have a six-lane 25-yard pool with a water depth from 4 to 6 feet. A minimum of two lanes will always be reserved for lap swim. No diving is allowed. Do not hang on lane lines. Children must remain in arms reach of an adult at all times. Starting blocks available for competition only.

Do you have a concession stand?

SnacKabana is our concession stand inside the pool area. It features menu items like hot dogs, sandwiches, pizza, and pretzels among other prepared hot items. The drink menu consists of Pepsi products. We have ice cream items, including Dippin Dots. Please dispose of all trash items in the proper trash receptacles.

What features does the indoor aquatic center have?

The indoor aquatic center has three lap lanes, a two-story waterslide, an interactive children's play area, a gentle winding river and a pulsating vortex.

Do you offer swim lessons?

Yes. The indoor aquatic center's unique design gives the staff the ability to offer all types of recreational programming including swim lessons as well as the ability to offer the waterpark like swim experience during our rec. swim. See our updated schedule for programming and recreational swim times.

Do you offer an area for birthday parties?

Yes. We have two areas for birthday parties. These areas can be reserved in two-hour increments and must be scheduled and paid for in advance. Call for more information and availability.

Is the indoor aquatic center open at the same time as the outdoor waterpark in the summer?

No. The indoor aquatic center primarily is reserved for recreational programming when the outdoor waterpark is open in the summer. However, we do offer four evening indoor recreational swim times after the waterpark closed outside for the day.

How tall do you have to be to use the slide?

Our manufacture guidelines for our slides is 48" tall.