Have a Garage Sale
Garage sales are regulated by the Town under the Zoning Ordinance.
You must have a permit from the Town to have a garage sale, but the Town does not charge you a fee. Please see Sandy in the Clerk-Treasurer's office to apply for the permit.
Here are a few of the more important regulations regarding garage sales:
- A Garage Sale may be conducted two (2) times each calendar year and shall not exceed three (3) consecutive days in duration.
- A Garage Sale shall only be conducted during the hours from sunrise to sunset.
- All personal property exhibited outdoors during a Garage Sale shall be placed within a Building or Structure or otherwise removed from the premises immediately following the end of the Garage Sale.
- No Garage Sale shall occur unless a permit therefore has been obtained from the Clerk-Treasurer of the Town of Plainfield. All Garage Sale Permit Applications shall include the name of the owner(s) involved in the Garage Sale, the address(s) of the Garage Sale and the date(s) of the Garage Sale. If an application for a Garage Sale Permit indicates compliance with the provisions of this Article, a Garage Sale Permit shall be issued.
- The Garage Sale Permit shall be clearly displayed on the premises of the Garage Sale for the complete duration of the Garage Sale.
- Garage Sale Signs shall comply with the applicable provisions for temporary signage. (Important: garage sale signage can only be posted where permitted by the sign ordinance (no telephone poles!), and all signage must be removed from wherever you have placed it at the end of the garage sale.
- Nothing in this Article shall be construed to prohibit one (1) or more owners from conducting a combined Garage Sale on one (1) of the premises owned by the participants, provided that all other provisions of this Article are complied with.